[linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Sun Oct 12 15:07:01 EDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 12:17:29PM -0500, Jan Depner wrote:
> What, exactly, do you mean by music that could be released by a major
> label?  That really has nothing to do with the tools used to record,
> mix, and master the music.  It has to do with the music and the
> performers.  It also has to do with how the song was mixed and
> mastered.  The tools are available in Linux to do this.  I'm waiting for
> Ron Parker to wade in on this subject since he is running a working
> studio.  Check out http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/gmc2.ogg.  This
> is sort of a blues tune.  Bruce Iglauer at Alligator Records (largest
> blues label in the world) liked it.  I don't think he really cared what
> [...]

sorry for any confusion. Just to clarify:

when i refer to "major labels" (which i didnt), i mean
Universal, Warners, Sony, and BMG.

Ron is a shining example to us all. Personally i make
european pop music which requires a lot more from your
system than just capturing, editing, and playing back audio
through a desk + outboard. European music is much more electronic
than US stuff. It makes me laugh that people in the US even have
an 'electronica' category.
With the exception of vocals, there are no "performances"
in the conventional sense. Most of the sounds are generated
on the machine and need to be kept live to be able to
make last minute changes. Personally I couldnt even manage without a
large amount of
hardware dsp. This is a worst case scenario of course,
but if you are being paid you need to be able to cope with that.
Its quite a difficult requirement to meet, and i think its
an amazing testament to Free Software development that we can even
think of getting there. I'm talking about the equivalent of replacing
a 96 ch ssl with everything that goes with it, which is the
level that i infer when people talk about "major releases".
However that is not to say that you cant do great stuff with very
little equipment, its just that when the budget is big you
tend to have lots of equipment at your disposal, for good or ill.

But this is all my own personal perspective and i dont neccesarily
want to impose it on anyone else. Just goes to show that there
is a v diverse range of people here i guess :-)

cheers
--
Tim Orford