Open source... was: Re: [linux-audio-user] recording delay in Ardour...

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Mon Oct 13 11:26:01 EDT 2003

Opening Pandora's box again...

Wednesday 08 October 2003 22.01 skrev Dave Phillips:

> Sometimes I worry about things like Stefan Nitschke's very cool RTSynth
> (free, but closed-source) or the Bros. Hayward's STEEM project (though
> they plan on going GPL sometime in the future). Those projects are
> wonderful, but if their maintainers disappear or simply lose interest,
> we lose some very nice software. I know, we don't really lose it
> completely, but it dies the death as far as development is concerned.

An example that is of particular interest to us free software people is that
of Buzz. A remarkable piece of free audio software for Windows, though closed
source.

Anyway, the story has it that the author, for some reason, lost the sources.
Thus effectively cutting the long term viability of the branch that was
Buzz...
Buzz still lives on, for now... but imagine if it had been open...

/Robert