[linux-audio-user] Copyrights on samples

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Oct 14 05:39:00 EDT 2003

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know if it's legal to:
>
> * sample the grandpiano of the latest Roland/Korg/Yamaha electric piano
> * give the sample away
> * package it (sf2) and put it on my web site

if you are prepared to go through all the pain of trimming and looping
zillions of samples, why not do the real thing ?
there is a raw set of steinway grand samples floating around on the net
somewhere (was even announced to this list iirc), and i think it's even
an anechoic recording.
the license was something along the lines of "free for the taking".

--
Progress (n.):  The process through which the Internet has evolved from
smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/ (Linux Audio Developers)