[linux-audio-user] Copyrights on samples

dwillis at stx.rr.com dwillis at stx.rr.com
Tue Oct 14 05:50:22 EDT 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, iriXx wrote:

> you will have a certain element of copyright in your mechanical
> recording of the piano, but the copyright in the sample still belongs to
> korg/roland/yamaha etc, who are likely to be quite protective of them.

then, wouldn't they mention it somewhere?  especially on a new piece of
equipment considering all the software and dvd issues these days?
my microKORG manual, and the unit itself, says nothing.  only the manual
itself has a copyright.  i don't remember any restrictions on my sy85,
either (but it's in the states, and i'm in korea).

> there may, as has been mentioned, be licensing provisions but i'd
> suggest they'd be highly unlikely to extend to relicensing these samples
> for redistribution. if they do allow this - then wahey, i think we
> should all celebrate and start a GPL-distributed sf2 project. but i
> seriously doubt this would be the case. a proprietary company doesnt
> spend millions on developing an electric piano or synth for nothing.

the sounds in my microKORG and sy85 were never licensed to me.  i bought
the instuments for their sounds (perhaps to make recordings which i could
sell and own all the rights to), whether i do something minimal or complex
with them is up to me.

these companies are in the hardware business, and with all the advances in
softsynths (etc) these days, hardware is still very popular (even with
me, who is cheap and a geek).

> it would be analagious to someone re-recording one of your songs and
> then claiming that they own the copyright on your song.

it might be analogious to someone covering your song, and claiming the
recording of their performance of your song (whether you gave them
permission to use it or not).

-dave