[linux-audio-user] That whole mp3 vs. ogg vs. wma vs. yomamma thing

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Oct 14 13:52:01 EDT 2003

> >>  We have that whole rock/blues and jazz legacy to deal with as well {as
> >opposed> to the watered down, imitative stuff that comes from
> that side of the
> >pond.} The> American public has come to value things like depth
> and quality and
> >a certain> "earthiness" that you just don't get with "Eurodisco."
> >
> >This statement in a week when the Top 10, for the first time in History,
> >was completely comprised of all Black artists. Yes, our charts, and
> >apparently our brethren, have gone a different direction.
>
>  I'm not quite sure what this means.
>
> >>  {Tho' you really couldn't tell it by looking at our charts. ... A few
> >minutes>  on the streets or in some of our backwoods clubs would
> convince you.}

Sorry. Not clear. I listen a lot to jazz fusion, like John Scofield or John
McLaughlin, or then a lot of prog rock stuff like Spock's Beard or
Conspiracy. None of this is represented on the radio today, really. (In
reference to your "that whole rock/blues and jazz legacy" comment, which I
agree with.)

My unintelligible comment about black artists was only that this week
everything on the radio is hip hop, rap or what passes taday as R&B, even
though I have a hard time equatig Beyonce Knowles, no matter how good
looking or talented she is, with R&B. Nothing on commercially driven radio
around her has anythign to do with, again, "that whole rock/blues and jazz
legacy".

I hope this helps explain my point of view a bit, even if it is out of
touch.

- Mark