[linux-audio-user] Copyrights on samples

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 03:50:02 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:52:21AM +0300, Tommi Sakari Uimonen wrote:

> How about if you make 'artistic' tune, which consists of grand piano
> samples played from C-0 to C-9 in half note steps and in different
> volumes. Now apply the same scenario as in the first case. What happens?

My guess is that in the real world nothing happens, because there is
more to a synthesiser than just a collection of samples.

My previous argument was that the obvious intention behind that ruled
out a 'fair use' defence, but apparently copyright law doesn't say
anything about intention. I still think that the above scenario crosses
the 'fair use' line, thugh the jury's still out on whether the samples
were copyright in the first place.

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444