[linux-audio-user] Make a .GIG out of the MIS piano Was: Re: Copyrights on samples

Benno Senoner sbenno at gardena.net
Thu Oct 16 05:27:00 EDT 2003

Mark I fully agree with what you said, and probably the MIS piano is not
that great compared to those
16 layers samples. But some probably would like to have decent quality
samples available for free.
And AFAIK there aren't that many around.
Perhaps a music research lab at an university or some private piano
owner/recording studio that owns the
 required recording equipement could try to make such an 8-16 layer GIG
file and make it available for
free in order to support the musicians that want to make music with free
software/sample libraries/sounds.
Of course other instruments are welcome too ;-)
Yes I fully agree it takes lots of work to make a high quality sample
library but on the other hand
writing a complex audio application takes lots of man-months (of
talented software engineers which are
 much more rare than musicians/sound designers) so if we follow your
reasoning one might ask about
why wasting all this time to create for example LinuxSampler when there
are dozen of sw-samplers
 available on the market. Some powerful cost up to $800-$1000 while
others run as low as $50-$80
(the german Speedsoft V-Sampler for Windows).
I think the same ideals that induce people to write free audio software
for Linux should induce sound designers
 that share our beliefs to produce samples and sounds that can be used
for free.
I think everyone should have the right of making music , and we all know
instruments (both traditional and electronic ones)
 have always been expensive but thanks to PC technology and free
software (and hopefully some free samples/sounds)
 we can significantly lower the barrier of entry for the not so wealthy.
Sound designers that make available some of their samples for free will
contribute to that cause.

I think like there exists the "Digital Divide" (the poor not having
access to computers/internet),
there exist a "Music Divide" too. (the creative person that would like
to make music but cannot afford to buy the required tools). Let's
contribute to remove that barrier too.

Benno
http://www.linuxsampler.org