[linux-audio-user] OSS Emulation and .asoundrc files

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Oct 16 12:15:52 EDT 2003

<SNIP>

> and start your OSS program with the aoss script from the alsa-oss
> package.
>

> HTH
> Clemens

Clemens,
   First, thanks for such clear instructions. That is a big help.

   It turns out that I did not have alsa-oss installed, so I emerged it this
morning. I'm currently running Alsa 0.9.6, primarily due to the HDSP 9652
patches that Thomas did not being in CVS. I got alsa-oss-0.9.6 through
Gentoo this morning. Is that OK? Or do I need 0.9.7 to use this technique?

   Unfortunately, in my first attempt at running this I get a seg fault from
aoss:

mark $ aoss mozilla
/usr/bin/aoss: Line 7:25200 Segmentation fault
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libaoss.so $*

   Same problem with kmplayer. Do you have some other small app you would
suggest I test this with?

/usr/lib/libaoss.so -> libaoss.so.0.0.0

which does exist and has today's date, so it got built during the emerge.

   I'm remote from the machine right now, so maybe there are some console
messages I would see if I was there. I see nothing in dmesg. I'll look more
closely later today. Maybe it's a typo in the .asoundrc file, or something
stupid I'm doing, so I'll double check everything.

   Again, I just want to give a quick thanks for your help. I'll probably
have a few more questions as I work through this.

cheers,
Mark