[linux-audio-user] Updating GTK2 on RH 8.0

Rocco linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Sat Oct 18 01:42:51 EDT 2003

cannam at all-day-breakfast.com wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>
>>As for a distro supporting Ardour as
>>part of a commercial package, I don't think any of them are doing
>>that yet.

> SuSE included it on the 8.1 CDs but then dropped it again from 8.2.
>
> SuSE tend to bundle a lot of stuff, much of which doesn't really
> work yet or hasn't been well packaged -- I think at least one of
> those was probably the case here.

> Chris

My experience with SuSE 8.1 is that it does a good job at installing and
usually delivers what it claims. It's just that the apps tend to be old
versions. And it funny that You mentioned Ardour because it's the only
one (that comes to mind) that I remember having problems installing.
That doesn't mean that there hasn't been problems with how well the apps
are that are included with SuSE 8.1, it just means that I can't (recall)
having problems with installing or running any other apps. Actually, I
find that the dependencies and installations are pretty good. Like I
said, the only thing I can say bad is how old some of the apps are
though. But all that is needed to run the programs are there and do
(tend) to install without a hitch. At least they do with SuSE 8.1.

Rocco