[linux-audio-user] How to check if I have midi connection?

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Sun Oct 19 06:45:43 EDT 2003

Hi Klaus,

söndagen den 19 oktober 2003 12.21 skrev Klaus Kosten:
> foltra at terra.cl wrote:
> > As for the status page the card reads *untested* .
>
> Ah, so they changed the status already? Very interesting. "Untested"
> means "Completely unsupported", right? This is very bad news, and seeing
> this, I doubt that there is any chance to have a fully working DSP2000C
> within reasonable time.

If you need the midi ports there is a chance that you are correct.

The audio ports though should work splendidly, support for envy24 based cards
is generally very good in Linux, and quite sure this includes the DSP2000
(Some related reading
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html)

> For me, there is no other choice than switching back to Win ´98 and
> Cubase VST and forgetting completely about sound under Linux, at least
> for now.

As I said, if you really need the midi-ports you might be right. On the other
hand, midi-ports are cheap, most mainboards come with joystick-ports
nowdays... (perhaps not the same quality though).
In general it's more of a question of what apps you intend to be using. VST is
probably a more stable and more feature rich environment.
Linux-audio is still in what "suits" like to call, early adopter stage,
meaning that it's mainly applicable to people that really want to use it and
are prepared to jump through a few hoops to do it.
But we are going to change that, right? ;)

/Robert