[linux-audio-user] recent hydrogen / jack / ardour

Mathias Lundgren mathias_lundgren at bredband.net
Sat Oct 25 10:33:33 EDT 2003

lördagen den 25 oktober 2003 15.28 skrev Mathias Lundgren:
> I've run hydrogen feeding it midi via MusE and jack as audio output. When
> using -p 512 it sounds OK, even though it's possible to hear that the
> timing isn't accurate. When increasing the period, -p 2048, it's really
> horrible. I've glanced at the midi input thread sources in hydrogen and
> noticed there are a few mutex thingies there. I've tried increasing the
> real time priority of the midi thread, with no luck. I guess jack's
> callback function (audio processing) and midi input thread are locking each
> other out, and when the buffer gets bigger it results in greater
> inaccuracy. When running hydrogen with alsa output in the same scenario as
> above, there's no timing problems (but then I can't use it together with
> any other apps). The above scenario applies to Zynadd as well.

Correcting myself. I've run both zynadd and hydrogen fed by muse, with muse
running without audio at all, or jack output. zynadd & hydrogen using Oss.
Zynadd runs like a clock in both cases (muse w/without jackaudio so the
problem shouldn't be MusE's midi-feeding), when it comes to sync, but
hydrogen doesn't. The inaccuracies in hydrogen are even worse with jack with
large period than with hydrogen using the Oss-driver, but there are
inaccuracies even when running hydrogen with Oss, when fed midi from muse.

/Mathias