[linux-audio-user] alsa setup debug (was: jackd -d alsa -d hw:0 -p512 / problem to start)

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Mon Oct 27 10:58:33 EST 2003

> > this sounds like what happens when alsa is not running properly.
>
> I do the following tests: arecord (meanwhile in other xterm play some
> mp3), and then when I do aplay, file.tests contains a portion of this
> mp3 recorded [I suppose] using alsa.
>
> But you're right, alsa say 'failed' when start and all seems to go bad,

i'm assuming you mean the alsa init script.
did you look in the logs (eg /var/log/syslog) for why it failed?

maybe you could tell us what distro and software versions you are
using, together with the output of:

lspci -v

lsmod

service alsa status
	(or whatever it is on your distro)

cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i alsa
	(for the last boot)

also read the documentation for your card on
http://www.alsa-project.org

and the quicktoots:
http://www.djcj.org/LAU/quicktoots/

the archives for the alsa-user list might also be instructive...

cheers
--
Tim Orford