[linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Oct 29 12:43:59 EST 2003

Hallo,
Daniel James hat gesagt: // Daniel James wrote:

> > The non-commercial CC
> > license makes it a gift with a catch, or actually it makes it not a
> > gift at all in some sense.
>
> I disagree. We don't usually offer a gift to someone and expect the
> recipient to sell it. That's not a catch, that's just an expectation
> of civilised behaviour.

Maybe, but we also wouldn't disallow anyone to sell a gift. There are
many reasons why someone would sell a gift, for example because some
money is needed and everything else's already sold.

> > "non-commercial use or
> > distribution only" means non-free
>
> I'm not sure the 'freedom' to make a living from someone else's work
> without contributing back is something that licences should
> encourage.

True, and this is the catch of the "share alike" in creative commons
or open sourc/free software licenses: You can sell, but you must not
take away rights when selling.

> I'm not talking about remixers or samplers here - people
> who take the work and add something to it. I'm talking about the
> people who would sell the work as it is without adding any value, and
> keep the money for themselves.

Just some more food for thought:

CC is discussing a sampling license currently, see
http://creativecommons.org/projects/cc-sampling. This is of course an
interesting concept, but I keep asking myself, what other licenses the
lawyers will come up with, when future, yet unknown "common" uses will
pop up. Today it's sampling, that gets a special treatment, yesterday
it was filesharing, tomorrow it might be "public place sound
designing" or whatever. All these use cases might require special
exceptions to allow them without charge for some people. Compare that
to the simplicity of a real free license. You wouldn't need a
"sampling license" if you would be allowed to "sample" the whole tune
for whatever purpose in the first place.

But I'm getting utopian now, I know. It's an old grassroot anarchist
heritage coming up again...

ciao