[linux-audio-user] Announcing Gnomoradio

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Fri Oct 31 09:39:05 EST 2003

> > Ah - but you're using the 'free beer' sense in 'free
> > distribution'.
>
> What makes you think that?

Because you said  "If the right is bound to giving money to the
creator it is not a free good".

I think there's a good reason for having the two meanings of 'free' in
English - it's because if you don't have any money, you can't afford
liberty. I would call this a lack of access, or accessibility.

But in the context of online music vs. CDs, the issue isn't that
peer-to-peer users can't afford CDs - as Eminem pointed out, if you
can afford a PC and internet connectivity then you can afford to buy
legitimate, tangible music media.

Rather, it's that existing models of distribution have been
leapfrogged by the internet, and in the rush to catch up the would-be
owners of our culture are attempting to dictate how computers should
be used. As I see it, software like Gnomoradio is part of the
counter-argument.

Cheers

Daniel