[linux-audio-user] Record from PCM source

Joost Yervante Damad joost at lumatec.be
Mon Sep 1 02:57:00 EDT 2003

'Alexandre Dery' wrote about '[linux-audio-user] Record from PCM source' - Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 03:19:55AM CEST
> Hi,
>
> I know my way around my linux box (kernel compiles et all), and I'm inches
> away from dumping windows completly. Still I've got problems with sound
> recording on linux.
>
> I need help trying to record from Windows Media ASF streams on the net. I
> currently use MPlayer to play those streams, and it plays just fine.
>
> I tried to record from it. I'm using KDE so I fired up KMix and found that
> MPlayer plays through the PCM device (that's what KMix calls it). But I
> can't set PCM as a recording device, so I can't record from it. And since
> MPlayer doesn't play through the KDE sound daemon, can't use that stuff
> either...
>
> So how should I go about this ?

       -dumpaudio (MPLAYER only)
                 Dumps raw compressed audio stream to ./stream.dump
 (useful with mpeg/ac3).

        -dumpfile <filename> (MPLAYER only)
              Specify which file MPlayer should dump  to.   Should  be
              used  together  with -dumpaudio / -dumpvideo / -dumpstream.

       -dumpstream (MPLAYER only)
                 Dumps the raw stream to ./stream.dump.
                 Useful when ripping from DVD or network.

Greetings, Joost