[linux-audio-user] RAR archives

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Tue Sep 2 02:24:01 EDT 2003

lt at westnet.com wrote:
> How is everyone extracting RAR archives? I tried using a shareware linux rar
> RPM, with the rar executable...

I tried using "rar". It's actually "unrar" that extracts. But this was
the warning that I saw on the Timidity site...

Be sure to use rar/unrar >= 2.50.  Versions earlier than this have a bug
in how file permissions are set on files that span multiple rar volumes.
  This results in several instruments having all of their permission
flags cleared. Timidity can not read them and therefore claims they do
not exist.  If you see this happening, and are using an older version of
rar, get the new version and it should solve the problem.

I use the one that comes with SuSE 8.1 (unrar V-3.00-42) and it works fine.

Rocco