[linux-audio-user] [USB audio capture]: "standard" drivers, "mixers" and level controls

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Tue Sep 2 05:35:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

Tuesday 02 September 2003 10:42 skrev Daniel James:
> > > Would it be worth an ALSA or USB developer approaching M Audio
> > > offering to write such a firmware loader
> >
> > Probably not, because I'm writing it already.
>
> Glad to hear it!
>
> > (It's the
> > madfu-firmware module in the usb-midi-fw project on SourceForge,
> > but it isn't yet complete.)
>
> I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be direct collaboration
> with M Audio on this particular bit of the software. There's an
> obvious commercial advantage for the company, given that the number
> of Linux desktops may have already passed the number of Macs in the
> world - if not, it's only a matter of time.
>
> I bought a Delta 1010 specifically to use with Linux because of the
> good ALSA support. It would be great to have full Linux/ALSA support
> across the whole M Audio/Midiman range.

I was going to post something in a similar vein, but I forgot.

I too am using M Audio cards for pretty much the same reasons.

I think contacting them is a good idea regardless if we can actually "do it
ourselves".
It is possible that they will actually help. Though more importantly it shows
them that we (the linux community) are _here_. And that it's time they
started to actively direct some attention our way.

/Robert