[linux-audio-user] Audio-synchronized multimedia authoring and playback (was Flash audio)

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Sep 3 07:49:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:43:37 +0100
Daniel James <daniel at mondodesigno.com> wrote:

> >  {Why is it that folk insist on denying the "right" answer?}
>
> er... because outside of the Linux community, the vast majority of the
> web only uses Flash for this sort of thing?
>
> A free software Flash tool for end users is one of those 'missing
> links'. I have seen Flash used as a wrapper for audio files which
> play in the browser - it works really well on Aimee Mann's site:
>
> http://www.aimeemann.com/
>
> Click on Listen. No special players or plugins required, other than
> the Flash plugin that most people already have. Now if there was
> support for Vorbis files in every Flash player...

http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp :} Browser support would be nicer.

 I like Flash... I think some stuff is impressive as hell. It's just that considering the huge amount of work that's been done standardizing svg... fitting it into one zillion and one other specs and getting the whole mess to work together... I don't see how flash can really keep its hold... I think things will eventually move to SVG.

 Maybe, if folk could just move actionscript to XML?

http://www.friendsofed.com/
http://www.flashkit.com/index.shtml