[linux-audio-user] Re: Latency question (M-Audio)

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Wed Sep 3 10:04:01 EDT 2003

> >The M Audio Audiophile (PCI version, not the USB) would do a good
> > job of both your vinyl transfers and your music recording.
>
> What's wrong with the USB version?

I believe the firmware loader for using that device under Linux hasn't
been released yet.

I can see the point of moving the A/D converter outside the computer,
but I don't think USB 1.1 has enough bandwidth for serious
multitracking (eg four inputs/outputs or more). This doesn't matter
with two in/two out cards like the Audiophile, but I think it becomes
an issue with greater numbers of channels, where using the higher
sample and bit rates with all channels at once could be a problem.

 USB 2.0 and Firewire should do the job, although I don't know of many
of these devices with Linux support.

Cheers!

Daniel