[linux-audio-user] Latency question

Greg Reddin gtreddin at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 10:36:01 EDT 2003

> Personally, I like to be able to undo effects because I frequently
> get
> them wrong! There is a LADPSA effects preview in version 1.20-pre1,
>
> which helps. But for real-time effects work, would an in-memory
> rather than disk-based application be better?

I guess I'm thinking of apps like Sonar where you plug effects in a
processing chain.  Undoing is unplugging and the effect has no
"effect" on the audio track itself, just the mix.  You also have the
option to "print" the effect to the track if you want to save CPU
resources.

I've not quite gotten far enough with Ardour to see if it supports
that, but I assume it does.  Besides you can use external
Jack-connected apps for that if Ardour doesn't have it built in.

Greg