[long] sound-server history Re: [linux-audio-user] What's arts?

G Cote garyb at cotecorner.com
Sun Sep 7 09:39:01 EDT 2003

Robert,

Thanks for the back-story. It was more helpful
than you could know. There are lots of very-detailed
faqs out there, on numerous topics, but precious
little that attempts to sum it all up.

>From your post, and others by Guy, Rocco, and Rick,
I've been able to make some good progress. Knowing
what components are required or optional for what
I'm trying to do was a big help.

So arts lets multiple apps send audio to the sound
card? Rather than write directly to /dev/dsp, they
presumably send data through arts. What about the
reverse direction? I guess I'd need a record app
that reads from arts rather than /dev/dsp?

At any rate ... I disabled the arts server, and can
now record from /dev/dsp. I'll have to determine
based on experience whether I miss any of the features
that arts provided.

Thanks all.

 - gary

--- Robert Jonsson <robert.jonsson at dataductus.se>