[linux-audio-user] RME hammerfall DSP Multiface: SOLVED :-)

Paul Perkins speaker-to-vegetables at pobox.com
Tue Sep 9 13:32:00 EDT 2003

So far it seems like definitive, official, up-to-date documentation is one of
the things that a conventional business structure does a lot better than the
bazar. Surely there must be a business case for computer sound interface
makers to invest something in maintaining useful HOWTOs for their products
used with Linux. Meanwhile, it seems like a WIKI is a good technology for
preserving  and making findable the results of problem-solving discussions on
the newsgroup. WIKIs and forums (fora?) have been set up, but draw little
content. Why not?

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 11:51 am, Daniel James wrote:
> > It looks to me like a good place to put this info is in the "user
> > notes" attached to the ALSA sound card matrix:
> >
> > There is also a WIKI for ALSA soundcard HOWTOs at
> > http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=AlsaOpensrcOrg but it looks
> > to me like it is less active recently.
>
> Both of these are out of date. I tried to submit updates to the ALSA
> matrix, but it appears to be unmaintained. The SuSE hardware database
> is no better - I was surprised to see this was also out of date,
> given that SuSE is offering a commercial distribution based on ALSA.

Are you saying that the "Add comment" button on
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/ just dumps the comments into a black
hole? How sad. I do see what claims to be a user comment from as recently as
june 2003 on the Hammerfall DSP page.

As for the matrix itself, I wonder how long it will be before alsa-project
notices that Midiman changed their name to M-Audio years ago. Jeepers!