[linux-audio-user] Generating drones, take 2

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Sep 9 13:52:00 EDT 2003

Hallo,
mawali at news.icns.com hat gesagt: // mawali at news.icns.com wrote:

> According to the responses to my previous post. There does not seem to be
> a way in linux to send MIDI command from my shell to a MIDI output
> interface.
>
> The closest response I got was to use a MIDI controller (keyboard) press
> the note and then pull the keyboard cable so it cannot send a stop (it
> works but, I do believe there is a better way in linux).
>
> For reference I want to be able to generate drone tones on my MIDI. I am
> looking for a simple application (MIDI shell??) that would let me turn a
> particular note on. I already have a sound card with the wavetable, this
> sound card understands midi. Alsa is supposed to have a good midi api, so
> how so I insert a midi event into my souncards midi output interface!!

Well, Pd (Pure Data) is a modular softsynth, that treats midi note
message simply as lists or pairs of note/velocity values. As a
note-off normally is just a note with velocity 0 cou could just omit
this. I attached a simple example patch for Pd that just sends a
[60 100( note on message (which is a "C" with a decent velocity). If
you don't want Pd to open this window you could use
"pd -nogui drone-c.pd" once to make a drone directly from the shell.

There are also ways to remote control Pd over network but this might
be off-topic now.

ciao