[linux-audio-user] kaboom effect

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Wed Sep 10 05:04:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 20:20:17 -0700 (PDT)
R Parker <rtp405 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I remember reading something about the audio
> production for a tornado sound for some Hollywood
> movie. They used around 180 tracks which included,
> cows, car crashes, breaking glass, etc.
>
> I've never done this type of sound design.
>
> With Tobiah's paper bag idea, you can make many copies
> and apply different reverb settings as needed. Perhaps
> you'll need one track with a long reverb delay and no
> tail which might create the initial Bang and secondary
> boom. And another with a huge reverb room, and long
> tail to create the impression of a sound wave that's
> traveling many miles. With numerous tracks you'll be
> able to mix the level of the different effect results.

Reading about sound effects of this kind made me think of a story
I heard about how the band Yello generated the thunder and lightning
sound at the start of the song that was part of the soundtrack to
the movie "Ferris Bueler's Day Off".

Apparently it was done by recording the unwrapping of one of those
large reels of cellotape. The recording was then slowed donw to
give a realy nice thunder.

Erik