[linux-audio-user] Steinberg USB MIDI 2 and red hat?

Aaron Trumm aaron at nquit.com
Wed Sep 10 18:48:00 EDT 2003

Thank you much!!

I have it working now.  For other people's reference, here's what I did:

download from http://usb-midi-fw.sf.net/ and follow directions in readme
(which includes getting the win2000 drivers)
then I unplugged the interface from the usb cable, and plugged it back in.
after that I was in business.  I'm not sure, but I MIGHT have been in
business before that.

before this email strain I had tried the how-to at
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/usbmidi.html but after
doing that, my interface didn't show up AND my machine was hanging all over
the place, so I downloaded the rpms instead of using apt-get, that didn't
work, so I changed the two configs mentioned back and did an rpm -e to
uninstall ezusbmidi.  THEN I tried the usb-midi-fw.sf.net site

whoa.  I just thought that what if I had unplugged and plugged in the
interface after the ccrma how-to?  anybody have any thoughts on this?

also what I'm unclear about is if I hadn't done the planet ccrma how-to,
would I have had hotplugs installed, and would this have made a difference
when I was installing the firmware from http://usb-midi-fw.sf.net/?

anyway this phase is accomplished - thanks for your input :)

now my question for all y'all is, are there any sequencer packages for linux
that will sync to Midi Time Code (not MIDI clock, but actual MIDI time
code)?  it occurs to me that making, for example, Rosegarden slave to Jack,
might do it, because Jack might sync to actual MIDI time code.  but I
haven't figured that out yet.  anyone know?  (the main sequencer I've been
trying right now is Rosegarden 4) :)