[linux-audio-user] Tracking down overruns

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Sep 13 17:03:00 EDT 2003

If you're not already doing it, use reiserfs or xfs.  From your pictures
it looks like you might be using ext3.  There are a few processes that
should be dead before you start doing realtime.  I use a script with the
following:

killall -9 autorun 2>/dev/null
killall -9 artsd 2>/dev/null
killall -9 jackd 2>/dev/null
rm -rf /tmp/jack*
killall -9 /usr/lib/ardour/ardourx 2>/dev/null
killall -9 oafd 2>/dev/null
killall -9 xbiff 2>/dev/null
killall -9 envy24control 2>/dev/null
killall -9 /usr/bin/aplay 2>/dev/null

I'm using almost the same hardware setup as you and I hardly ever get
overruns (1700+ and ST Audio DSP2000 C-Port).  One thing that did give
me problems was using IO_support set to 3.  The sync seemed to give me
problems.  I set both of mine to 1 (no sync).  I also kicked up to 512
MB of memory from 256 and that helped some too.  You can see what I've
done to my system at
http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/ALSA_JACK_ARDOUR.html

Jan