OT: [linux-audio-user] Problems with Redhat 9(Shrike)

Tim Hall tim at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Mon Sep 15 05:17:01 EDT 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 14:39, Mark Knecht wrote:

>    As for Gnome, I don't use it so I don't know how to help you there, but
> I'm sure it's probably pretty similar.
I also have no experience with using Gnome. Artsd conflicts with ALSA like
nothing else AFAIK.

>    Again, you could try out fluxbox as you will have no conflicts using it,
> but many GUI oriented folks think it's too minimalistic. It all comes down
> to preferences.

I would really recommend fluxbox if you've tried it and frozen in fear at the
apparently blank screen going '"erk, where are all my lovely widgets and
icons" - and that has sent you screaming for the comfort of Gnome or KDE -
You don't need 'em, you won't miss 'em. Right-click and it all comes up on
one menu. It's beautiful and it doesn't get in the way, it's easy to
customise and does what you need it to do. Since I got used to it, everything
else seems clunky and over complicated. It's worth geting used to for
resource intensive stuff like music making even if  you resort back to
something else for your office & internet work.

God I'm such a chauvinist.

tim hall