[linux-audio-user] multitrack

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 16 12:18:01 EDT 2003

Rocco <linuxmedia4 at netscape.net> wrote:
> felix.news at qodiga.com wrote:
>  > Hello!
>  >
>  > I'm looking for the best multitrack for linux. I was used audacity,
>  > and protux.
>  >
>  > I think that ardour is the best [just only reading the features and
>  > watching screenshots] but I have a problem with jackd.
>
> I was working with ardour and it looked really good. But then I kept
> running into problems with Jack also. So I went back to using ecasound.
> It's a command line multitrack recorder, but does a lot more, (like fx,
> file conversions, ladspa plugins...). I plan on getting Jack running
> some day. But for now, I can do everything I need with ecasound. It's
> very stable and powerful. And there's a very good Front End called
> "tkeca". But I would wait for the next version of tkeca because the
> developer said that He will be working on fixing some bugs and/or adding
> certain features. But the last version of tkeca was promising. But if
> you don't mind a command line multitracker go with ecasound. I recomend
> using the "-c" option. It puts it in "interactive mode" so that You can
> do "t" to start, "fw xx" to fast forward xx seconds, "setpos xx" to seek
> to xx seconds into the recording (just to name a few).
>
> By the way, if you use Midnight Commander (file utility program),
> ecasound becomes much easier to work with because you can create a bash
> script with all of the ecasound settings in it and press enter to run
> it. then You can press F4 on the file and make changes with the Midnight
> Commander's internal editor and and then simply press enter on the
> script file to run it again. You can use Midinight Commander's ablity to
> reconize a file type and configure it to use ecasound to play a wav, mp3
> or whatever file format you're using, so You can quickly view a single
> track if nesesary. ecasound also has a few of it's own file formats that
> you can use along with Midnight Commander also for "quick viewing" or
> testing of things. I found this set up to be a quick way to make
> changes, view things quickly and record quickly and efficiently.

 http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EcasoundMode
 ^ There's this as well.

 And this:
 http://www.notam02.no/notam02/prod-prg-mix.html

 And this:
 http://www.music.princeton.edu/winham/PPSK/rthelp.html

 Which I stole the links to from here:
 http://lulu.esm.rochester.edu/kevine/turnkey/explore.html

 And Brahms:
 http://brahms.sourceforge.net/

 And there's a couple here:
 http://apps.kde.com/na/2/browse/Multimedia/Audio?sid=7aa47cd52214a46cfc3d3982cc666c4b&sid=7aa47cd52214a46cfc3d3982cc666c4b

 {Reviews I've read of Anthem have been pretty good.}

 I've heard that Broadcast 2000 is really good... You could probably
 use Cinelerra for the same thing. Main Actor gives you pretty much
 unlimited tracks, etc...