[linux-audio-user] multitrack

Rick Taylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Wed Sep 17 12:37:59 EDT 2003

jjbenham at chicagoguitar.com (Jeremiah Benham) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:02:29AM -0500, Rick Taylor wrote:

> >  I've heard that Broadcast 2000 is really good... You could probably
> >  use Cinelerra for the same thing. Main Actor gives you pretty much
> >  unlimited tracks, etc...
>
> I hope I am not spreading the wrong info but I know Cinelerra was
> orriginally a multitrack recorder. It seems rather intuitive at
> recording many tracks at once.  The thing I think that is not intuitive
> about is overdubbing or recording a track 3 while listening to tracks 1
> and 2 that gave been previously recorded. If it is possible it totally
> went over my head. I tried unclicking the record on tracks one and two
> while leaving record on then I figured I could either hit r to open up
> the record window.  That did not play the tracks one and two while I was
> trying to record.  I also tried it in the main window by adding an extra
> track and then I did not have a clue on how to record from that.  I

 There's a forum on sourceforge for it... That would probably be the best
 place to get help with it. I've not tried recording with it.. most
 everything I do {animation, sound/noisescapey stuff, weird loopy musical
 things} is generated/synthesized on the computer.

> believe you could actually record with bcast2000 from the main window.

 There's a copy in the audio turnkey package. At least there used to be.
 I'm sure you can get it elsewhere as well. Mandrake, maybe?

> I have alot of mixed feelings about Cinelerra It has a beautiful gui
> that for the most part has gotten alot more intuitive since bcast2000.
> It kind of bothers me that it is so difficult to compile and that for
> the most part it is only for x86. The reason for this is because it has
> hand made assemly code in it. I heard some people tried to port it
> to it to the ppc but it was not incredibly stable. I like many of the
> features. Don't get me wrong it has some incredible features.  I just
> wish that I think there is only one guy working on it and he does not
> accept patches from developers and there is no cvs.

 I know that you can get the code, betas, backups, etc...
 http://heroinewarrior.com/download.php3

 It is difficult to compile. You can get it from planet ccrma though.