[linux-audio-user] JACK splat

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Sep 18 10:35:01 EDT 2003

> Greetings:
>
>   I'm having an interesting problem with JACK (0.81.1). When running it
> I can't start non-JACK apps, e.g., after starting JACK (with Rui's neat
> qjackctl) I'm unable to open Snd until I stop JACK. Is this expected
> behavior ? I hope not...
>
> Best regards,
>
> == Dave Phillips

Neither of my RME cards (Hammerfall Light or HDSP 9652) have ever allowed me
to do this. To my mind this is why I have always asked new app developers
that don't have a Jack interface to add Jack support, so that I can use
multiple apps at the same time.

As someone else pointed out, doesn't using multiple apps place some
interesting requirements on the hardware? What does the hardware do if the
apps are running at different frequencies?

Anyway, for me the problem you site has always been there, and is the best
reason for all Linux sound apps to support Jack.

Cheers,
Mark