[linux-audio-user] JACK splat

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Thu Sep 18 13:02:01 EDT 2003

> > As someone else pointed out, doesn't using multiple apps place some
> > interesting requirements on the hardware? What does the
> hardware do if the
> > apps are running at different frequencies?
>
> resample.
>
> this is reputedly why the creative cards sound so poor. Even if
> your stream is at the cards nominal rate of 48k, it still gets
> resampled.
>
> its quite an insidious degredation though. If you listen to the spdif
> output of the sblive it seems to sound ok, but if you compare it
> to the output of
> a 'proper' card then the difference is imediately apparent (if you
> are sensitive to these things). A lot of detail and beauty is lost.
>

> cheers
> --
> Tim Orford

Tim,
   I agree. There are always artifacts from resampling. I didn't know those
cards did that all the time. Yuck.

   In my work I never resample anything, or at least not until the final
master for the physical media is created. I always work at 44.1K, make sure
any samples and tracks others give me are at 44.1K, and make my personal
masters at 44.1KHz for auditioning where ever I need to. Only if I need a
48K for some reason do I do it then.

Cheers,
Mark