[linux-audio-user] (vst/linux) Re: linux-audio-user digest, Vol 1 #679 - 8 msgs

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Fri Sep 19 04:30:01 EDT 2003

From: Dave Phillips <dlphilp at bright.net>

> "Kjetil S. Matheussen" wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps Kjetil can provide a working example ?
> > >

> > The help2-k_vst~.pd patch in the k_vst~ tar file works for me. (last time
> > I tried at least). Press the "click to hear" button.
>
> Thanks, Kjetil. I got the mda_JX10 synth and tested the patch, it worked
> fine (but no GUI, alas). I also tried the compakt and Barking Wombat
> synths again with that example, both worked fine and both showed their
> GUIs (after I added the opengui/closegui messages to the patch).
> However, I still haven't figured out how to sound the patch via my MIDI
> keyboard.
>
> The vstserver is still very shaky. It often crashes after changing the
> DLL name in the k_vst~ object. I can start the whole thing again with
> the revised patch and it will work fine (until I try changing the DLL
> again). Btw, I built and installed your version of WINE (from the NoTAM
> site) and rebuilt the vstserver.

It seems like the newer wine-versions doesnt work quite as well with
the vstserver as the nov-dec2002 versions. I have experienced more
strange behaviour after upgrading too. But it might be coincidental.

> I tried utilizing the MIDI input components from the audio/MIDI test
> patch but even though it shows MIDI data coming from my keyboard I'm
> still not sounding the VSTi plugin. Suggestions ?

Hmm, no. I'm unfortunately not sitting at a linux machine right now.
Cant think of anything. Ask the pd-list perhaps? There seems to
be quite many that use the k_vst~ external on that list.