[linux-audio-user] Loops

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 04:36:00 EDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 04:19:42 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> In the case of Pro Tools, the question is 'How many customers does
> DigiDesign lose to someone else because they don't have a Linux
> solution'? I think today that the numbers are very small, but arguably
> growing. When will it make a financial difference to DigiDesign's
> financial bottom line to support us?

To be honest I doubt it ever will. There is no significiant feature or
reliability difference between OSX and Linux and the cost of the machine
is small compared to the cost the the digi hardware.

I guess if they (or someone else) wanted to sell pre configured protools
boxes, then linux would save them a few quid in licencing costs, but I
dont think thats a good enough reason.

FWIW ATI dont release source for linux, but they do release (most of) the
specs needed to write a driver.

- Steve