[linux-audio-user] Cheap ALSA-compatible card

Benji Flaming lau at solobanjo.com
Sat Sep 27 01:27:01 EDT 2003

Benji Flaming wrote:
 > I'd like to get an ALSA-compatible sound card (PCI) for an older
 > machine.  This would be for non-critical music playback, and would be
 > replacing an ISA SB16.  Economy is the goal here.  I'm aware of the ALSA
 > sound card matrix, but it does not provide list prices for each card,
 > nor does it indicate whether a particular card is even on the market.
 > Would anyone be willing to offer a recommendation?

I just discovered something which makes me rather embarrassed at having
so lazily asked for help.  The hard drive in this machine used to be in
my newer machine, which had no ISA slots.  Because of this, I'd disabled
ISA support in my kernel configuration.  Consequently, the SB16 wasn't
showing up in the list of supported sound cards, since the "ISA Devices"
ALSA group was being hidden.  I've now enabled ISA support, enabled the
SND_SB16 module, and am rebuilding my kernel.  Thanks to John, Austin,
and Vincent, for the replies.  Sorry to have taken your time unnecessarily.

TTFN,