[linux-audio-user] jaming over the internet?

Christian Henz chrhenz at gmx.de
Tue Sep 30 07:29:00 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:02:57PM -0700, R Parker wrote:
> offlist,
>
> couldn't you guys do what the gamers do? I don't know
> what they do but it must be buffering 'til remote
> clients have time to sync up and then go. right?

Hmm, (realtime) games generally extrapolate (predict) the game-object states based on their last known position/input... if  they'd wait for clients to sync first the game would get pretty jerky.

I don't think it is possible to apply these methods to MIDI, much less to audio. Game players live with a certain ammount of inacuracy, but while it may be a little frustrating to not have hit the other player because he wasn't really where your client thought he was, the audio equivalent to that might be outright annoying :-)

cheers,
Christian