[linux-audio-user] Copy-Protection of Audio-CDs produced by myself

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Apr 1 04:31:29 EST 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Dave Griffiths hat gesagt: // Dave Griffiths wrote:
> > While we can get all political and anti DRM - it *would* be
> > interesting to know how it worked...
>
> It works in a way no standard CD burner can work, IIR. It does create
> non-standards-compliant CDs with "errors" that *should* only affect CD
> drives in computers.

Computer CD drives are supposed to do more error detection because
silently reading corrupted data is worse than refusing to read the
data.  However, if a drive behaves just as "dumb" as an audio CD
drive, it can read "protected" CDs without problems.

It is _not_ possible to prevent anyone from reading audio CDs because
audio CD drives still must be able to read the data digitally from the
CD.

> It does affect several hifi-CD-players as well though, for example
> mine.

Many modern CD players use a computer CD drive because there isn't
much of a price difference between those and audio CD drives anymore.

> > On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:03:30 +0200, michael heubeck wrote
> > > which progs can i use? only commercial-ones?

Many protection schemes rely on wrong data in a second session on the
CD.  It would be possible to create a CD image, insert appropriate
errors, and then burn it, but there are no free tools for this AFAIK.

Clemens