[linux-audio-user] 3D audio technique

toby at tobiah.org toby at tobiah.org
Thu Apr 1 13:23:20 EST 2004

I have been working on a method of synthesis whereby
a three dimensional space can be described through
the careful arrangement of destructive interference
nodes between sound sources.  I have been able to
translate three dimensional shape definitions into
csound scores which feeds a csound orchestra instument
that has been constructed to anticipate the location
of interference patterns of low frequency sound
sources, given the relative postions of the speakers.

Not only is the audio product pleasing and artistically
valid, but one can actually visualise the reconstructed
shape in space between the speakers by exposing the
space to a suspended cloud such as smoke or dust.
By blowing smoke for instance between the speakers
as csound 'plays' the score, a vague but recognizable
reproduction of the original input shape can be seen.
What happens is that the places where destructive
interference nodes effectively stop the air movement,
the cloud particles become more visible than in those
spaces where the sound is active, and moving
the cloud particles more rapidly.  The effect can
be quite astonishing, and opens, I believe, a very
important new avenue of compositional expression.

Here is an example of one of the more successful
images, a bust of Beethoven:

http://tobiah.org/beethoven.html

Tobiah