[linux-audio-user] Cheap PCI MIDI interface

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Apr 2 13:05:58 EST 2004

Hallo,
Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:

> I'd go with the USB solution also. It's flexible.
>
> I sort of have a very vague, lost memory that maybe in one of the older
> MIDI books, like possibly Craig Anderton's book, or maybe something even
> older, that there was some solution for hooking a MIDI connector to a
> parallel port and doing MIDI from some small DOS program. I certainly
> don't know if there's any port of stuff like that to Linux though.

You also can buy Parallel-to-Midi adapters, I think. But USB of course
is easier.

BTW: I would stay clear from the M-Audio midi devices, not because
they wouldn't work (AFAIK they do) but you'll have to fiddle with
firmware loaders and such. Edirol or Audiotrak don't need firmware IIR
and thus are much closer to "plug and play" installation.

ciao