[linux-audio-user] volume plugin

Oliver Gerlich olig9 at gmx.de
Sat Apr 3 10:40:40 EST 2004

Hello,

my onboard sound chip (CMedia 9739, on Epox 8RDA3+, with nforce2
chipset) doesn't support volume changing in hardware (CMedia's cmaudio
driver for OSS does all the volume calculation in software). That means
that I'm unable to change the volume  with alsamixer or similar programs.

Now my question: is it possible to tell Alsa to change the volume in
software? Is there a plugin that does this? I've already tried the
"Route & Volume" plugin, but it doesn't do anything. XMMS plays sound
still at full volume, and mplayer says "alsa-control: error setting left
channel, Invalid argument" when changing volume.

My asound.conf entry for it looks like this:

pcm.nforcevol {
	type route

	slave {
		pcm "hw:0,0"
		channels 2
	}

	ttable.0.0 1;
	ttable.1.1 1;
}

Does anyone has an idea how to get volume control? Btw. I'm using the
snd-intel8x0 driver for this chip.

Thanks in advance,
Oliver Gerlich