[linux-audio-user] restricting MIDI channels

Dave Phillips dlphilp at bright.net
Tue Apr 6 07:41:31 EDT 2004

Greetings:

  This is a precaffeinated message. You have been warned.

  I own a Yamaha MJC8 MIDI patch bay. It's very nice, but alas, it does
nothing more than route connections. I would have preferred a
programmable patch bay. Such devices included many amenities for the
MIDI user, including channel control, scene memory, autoscanning
hardware, etc. Personally, I'd like to see such features in a software
MIDI patch bay. I'd also like to see something like a software MEP4 (a
MIDI event processor box), but again its features could be incorporated
into a programmable patch bay.

  At this time, it's either all or nothing with MIDI channels. Very
frustrating when I want to use my TX802 on Ch 1, *only* Qsynth's drums
on Ch 10, and ZynAddSubFX on Ch 5. The synths do in fact include their
own channel selector, but the 802 is multitimbral and I often leave it
in an 8-channel (8 instruments) configuration. So if I have a connection
scene that includes Qsynth and the 802, everything on those eight
channels gets played by Qsynth, but I don't want that to happen.

  So, can it be done ? I tried using holborn's SoundFontCombi but
couldn't get it to keep the settings I made. Every time I started
playing a sequence it would flip back to its original state. Sigh...

Best,

dp