[linux-audio-user] Simple sound recording

Dan Harper tech at danharper.org
Tue Apr 6 20:12:06 EDT 2004

OK, you're using Fedora Core, the first thing to do is get to
http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ and setup your
distribution to use the CCRMA packages.  Step through the documentation
on the setup, it's simple and should get you going with minimal trouble.

Then figure out which program will be best.  You probably won't need to
mess around with jack, or oss.  Just search the CCRMA site for a program
that you like.  I've used qarecord, it's a good program.  I'm not sure
how you'd get the MP3 encoding done though, check out OGG format as
well.  Someone hopefully should be able to give you some advice here.
You may need to record in sections (if possible) and encode a completed
section while you're recording the new one.

Dan