[linux-audio-user] shuttle xpcs as linux music boxes?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Wed Apr 7 10:01:26 EDT 2004

Hi all,

resurrecting an old thread for my own evil purposes ;-)

I am looking to buy a Shuttle SN41G2 for use in an audio installation at
European Media Arts Festival this month. Everything looks cool, except
that VGA Shared Memory. As a devout follower of RME, I read everything
on their site about hardware recommendations, and one of the big
warnings is this Shared Graphics Memory. This means that the graphics
card uses normal RAM for its graphics-handling. The Shuttle says it
comes with a Geforce4 MX, and that it "features" 128 Mb of shared
memory. This sounds to me more like 128 Mb that gets taken away from
audio processing!!

Can anybody tell me if they have run into audio dropout problems with
this machine, and most importantly while using an add-on soundcard. I
will be using a Delta 66 in this machine. I know that it gets glitches
with PD + ALSA with default settings on the built-in Realtek card, but I
won't be using that anyway....

Other problem I know of is that new kernel modules are needed for the
built-in NIC ethernet card, but I can handle that.

robcanning wrote:

> Does anybody know if i can access more than 2 the 5.1 outputs on the
> onboard audio chip with PD or should i go ahead and get an SBLive for 4
> outs?

To answer Rob's question, look for the thread on pd list called "nForce
chipset". It was generally concluded that using the 5.1 outputs calls on
*extremely* proprietary Dolby [en/de]coding.

best,
Derek

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl