[linux-audio-user] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Unmuting ALSA sound cards at startup

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed Apr 7 14:53:03 EDT 2004

> I've found a way of unmuting ALSA sound cards at startup, but it does work only
> if alsamixer (or the card-specific mixer) is just launched before all other
> audio apps.
> If I launch XMMS, for example, first, all levels are set to 0.
>
> Here's the code to be put at the end of /etc/modules.conf:
>
> post-install snd-card-1 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove snd-card-1 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>
> Do you know a better-working solution?

If you are using Planet CCRMA that should be done automatically by the
alsasound alsa startup script (it will execute at boot time when it
starts the alsa driver). For that to work you have to activate it by
doing "/sbin/chkconfig --add alsasound" (and then check it is active byt
saying "/sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound"). On a subsequent boot alsa
will be started automatically and alsactl will restore whatever you
saved.

-- Fernando