[linux-audio-user] [OT] Video processing applications?

Benjamin Flaming lau at solobanjo.com
Thu Apr 8 13:52:29 EDT 2004

On Thursday 08 April 2004 12:50 pm, thewade wrote:
> I was wondering what video editing applications are people using? Im
> looking for Adobe Priemere and After-Effects like applications, are there
> such things for linux?

     Cinelerra is probably what you are looking for.  It allows timeline-based
editing of unlimited audio and video tracks, compositing, real-time and/or
offline processing, and also supports render farms.  The official web site is
down at the moment, but you can get a bit of info by searching Google for
"cinelerra", and looking at the cached version of the first result.  If
you're interested in Cinelerra, here's how to get it:

Red Hat:
The SourceForge.net project page has RedHat RPMs
(I do not recommend using the source tarballs from this site.)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/heroines/

Gentoo:
The current version of Cinelerra is in the Portage tree

Debian:
http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/

All others:
     There is an unofficial CVS repository and community web site, which also
has an excellent mailing list if you have problems building.  The source code
in the repository has many bug-fixes and optimizations not yet included in
the latest official release.  (Including a difference keying plug-in which I
wrote last year).  It has also been modified to use the familiar GNU
auto-tools build system, instead of the inflexible build system used by the
official source tarballs.

     Feel free to e-mail me off-list if you have further questions, or if you
run into installation or compiling problems.