[linux-audio-user] Fwd: [Jamin] Re: soft clip: Achieving Gain, inconsequential overloads

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 22:03:02 EDT 2004

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 13:16, R Parker wrote:
> > Hi,

> Ron,
>    I'm not totally sure I'm in tune with the exact
> problem yet, but on
> my end today I'm doing some first mixes of a Big
> Band group I recorded
> Thursday and last evening. 8 horns, drums, bass,
> guitar and piano.
> Probably not the same sort of music you're working
> on. (Strange music
> for me too....jeez...I'm dancing close with a sexy
> brunette in 1940's
> New York...) ;-)

That sounds like a fun job. I don't work with live
horn sections very often but man they are great.

>    My first step, which doesn't effect sound if it's
> done right, was to
> simply normalize the tracks up a bit. (I told the
> normalizer to make the
> highest peak -1db)

I've never normalized a track. Can normalization hold
a -0.5db peak to -0.5 while it pushes a -12db valley
up to -6db?

If normalization behaves that way, it can help
"louden" a mix which would be appropriate for my
situation. That combined with cutting dominant
frequencies would give me the loudness I need.

I'll read up on normalization tonight. Do we have a
LADSPA normalization plugin or are they non-realtime
tools? I imagine you must produce a new normalized
file. Is that correct?

Until this job, I've never really needed to get every
bit of available gain from a mix so normalization has
never meant anything to me. Someone on this list tried
to explain it to me once but I'm to old and bullheaded
to learn anything new. That is, until my rear end is
hanging in the air.

>    I'm no expert on compressors, but I think a
> 4-band compressor is a
> really place to start for what you want to do, so
> Jamin should be
> helpful. My biggest recommendation would be to
> compress as little as
> possible. If I do too much it all sounds unnatural.
> In my case it's
> really only the band below 100Hz that's consistently
> ranging down. The
> other 3 are moving much less.

With the job I'm doing compression and limiting are
probably alot more extreme than what you're doing.
This is multitrack pop music. Reguardless, when I
reach for the last bit of gain, I'm limiting to damned
hard. If normalization does what I hope then it
combined with leveling the floor by cutting and
compressing dominant frequencies might enable me to
achieve greater "loudness" without the super hard
limiting. As I think about it, I'm not sure what else
normalization could be.

Good stuff, thanks for the help,

ron