[linux-audio-user] Fwd: [Jamin] Re: soft clip: Achieving Gain, inconsequential overloads

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 13 09:34:20 EDT 2004

Hi,

--- Robert Jonsson <robert.jonsson at dataductus.se>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 13 April 2004 14.14, R Parker wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > What I mean by destructive is the outfile replaces
> the
> > infile. With Ardour undo can revert but the
> original
> > file is destroyed--shut down Ardour and the undo
> > history is lost.
>
> True, though, during editing in Ardour normalization
> does probably not make
> sense, Ardour stores everything as float anyway
> making the point moot... I
> think?

>From a user point of view, normalization is useful
during editing and mixing if headroom is needed. It is
just a gain change, right? I've never used
normalization because I'm careful about signal levels
when I print them. Well, I guess that's why.

BTW, I think Paul intends to implement a
non-destructive realtime normalization solution into
Ardour stable.

The best sense I can make of Normalizing is I might
want to apply it to all songs after they are mastered.
Then again I probably won't do that either because
mastering is the process of achieving appropriate
levels amongst groups of songs. It never hurts to
experiment so I might.

> > Not sure what you mean by "in the
> > 'peak' sense."
>
> Somebody else noted, I think it was Jan, that there
> is 'rms'-normalization
> also. In my mind that sounds more destructive.

Is "rms" another method for calculating peaks? What
does the acronym stand for? I see RMS in SWH SC4.
Adjusting it across the full spectrum in the
compressor seems to produce a very subtle audible
difference, if any difference.

ron