[linux-audio-user] New Kernel; No Sound. Linux-2.6.5 ALSA

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Apr 13 17:37:04 EDT 2004

	My thanks to a list member who wrote me off the list and told
me about the aabuild and aadebug scripts on the alsa site.  I ran the
aadebug script and found that the biggest problem seems to be that
ALSA couldn't find my sound card after plug and play registered it.

	Putting in the sound card driver as a built-in to the kernel
rather than a module seems to have cured that problem and I may
actually have it working.

	Now, for the next part:  Since ALSA is part of the kernel, I
need some command-line tools to take the place of aplayer and amixer
which were in the old distribution.  As a computer user who is blind,
I do not use X windows because there isn't a truly working interface
to X that makes it talk to us yet.  It is in the works, but it has
been there for about a decade although it really is getting a lot
closer.

	I presently have aumix on the system and it did adjust some of
the controls on the sound card under the 2.4.19 kernel and the OSS
modules, but I gather that it doesn't talk to /dev/mixer, etc.

	The old ALSA utilities I had on here had Amixer and aplayer
and dated back to December of 2001.  They don't even try to work with
the present setup.

	So, my question for now is, are there any command-line-based
applications that replace aplayer, amixer and something I saw called
alsamixer?

	This is all a bit confusing since there is a lot of software
that is based on the old ALSA which doesn't seem to do anything at all
in the new setup.

	Thanks to all.

Martin McCormick