[linux-audio-user] sndfile-info and lots of questions

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 17 17:41:03 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 09:43:00AM -0700, R Parker wrote:

> One of the problems I've confronted during mastering
> is  JAMin, Ardour and hardware meters tell me that a
> track is peaking around -0.5db but the hardware mixer
> indicates overload. Of course metering balistics being
> what they are this is understandable. The mixer
> documentation doesn't tell me at what level the
> overloads are set to go off at and I haven't found a
> configuration interface.

My TC M*One XL reverb manual says:

  The OVERLOAD LEDs indicate one of two situations:
  - The Input level is too hot and therefore overloading.
  - There is an internal DSP overflow.
  The Overload LED is lit when 1 sample is @ -1dBFS.

So JAMin is being honest, but maybe your desk is playing safe.

Cheers for yet another interesting thread!

Malc