[linux-audio-user] switching from windows + cubase

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Mon Apr 19 00:09:15 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 20:21, Thomas Pickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm considering switching for Windows to Linux for my audio stuff.  I have a
>   few questions.
>
> 1) I have some Cubase projects, and I mostly care about the midi sequencing.
>   If I export them to midi files, will I be able to restore most of the
> information in Linux?

Maybe is the most I can say. I think there are questions about whether
the best apps (Rosegarden & Muse) are quite ready to compete head to
head, but they are certainly worth a try.

> 2) This is my first install.  Can you suggest a distro for a 1.6 GHz Athlon
> machine that would be good and stable for audio yet not be too hard to set
> up and get working?  Preferably something with a 2.6 kernel.  I was going to
> go with Mandrake, but I really don't know.  Definitely something like Debian
> or Gentoo is too involved for me right now.

I'd suggest PlanetCCRMA which is based on Redhat.

> 3) I have a Soundblaster Audigy.  Should I look into getting a new
> soundcard?  What is a good internel or external box that is supported well?

Study is required here...

> 4) Can you recommend a set of software that will be enough to get started
> with?  I know that there are many many options and I would just appreciate a
> little direction so I don't get discouraged.  I just want to record vocals,
> record midi and use my synthesizer, mix them together, and process it all
> with some plugins.

Well, since you want MIDI, that's listed. For audio it will depend on
how much you want to track. Ardour, Audacity, Rezound, etc. All
available through the Planet.