[linux-audio-user] switching from windows + cubase

davidrclark at earthlink.net davidrclark at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 19 18:15:05 EDT 2004

Thomas,

You said that you were "considering" switching to Linux for audio.  If I
were interested in doing *only* what you mentioned doing, I would myself not
move to Linux audio.  However if you have *other* reasons, then you may
have a good argument for switching.  I should say that I'm making these
statements as someone who detests Microsoft and Windows, so it's not
easy for me to recommend Windows for what you plan to do.  I myself do
Linux audio programming because I'm doing more audio research than music
per se, and I wouldn't perform serious technical tasks any other way.
However, in good conscience, I myself cannot recommend Linux audio for
the task you described any more than I could recommend that my
brother-in-law replace all his Windows business software with Linux.
If you don't have time for Debian or Gentoo, then you may not have time
for Linux audio.

Perhaps you already know this, but many people don't:

Linux isn't about free software, it's about USER-SUPPORTED software.
This means you contribute to your own support as well as the support
of others.

Now if you insist on going all-Linux, you've come to the right place.
The people here are very helpful.